Saturday, March 6, 2010

Thornburg Center Validation

Enthralled, as I listen to Jim talk about how pervasive robotics and engineering are in our lives - in ways we don't even notice, I realize how connected my vision is to STEM.

No, I'm not a scientist.  I don't invent new technologies.  I'm not an engineer.  I'm not a mathematician.  And yet, I - and my students, my children, my parents, neighbors, you - are all consumers of these in nearly every moment of the day - and the night.  We carry robotics within our cell phones and utilize them in our cars.  The dryer, the fridge, my TiVo, this blog, the heart monitor watch Dad wears, and...  it's all robotics and engineering and computers and machines.

As I think about what Jim is sharing, I watch my own thoughts of redesigning education connect to the concept of TRANSdisciplinary education!

NEWSFLASH: Jim shares a picture of two middle school girls being TAUGHT by two high school girls who are HIRED to TEACH as MENTORS.

Lack of transference of wisdom and knowledge is a major crisis as we watch baby boomers retire without a surplus of incoming workers.  Sounds to me like we're missing the apprentice or mentor relationships in our general work force population.

Thoughts as Jim talks:

Rigor = old knowledge.  If we really want to increase rigor in our schools, perhaps we ought to be seriously considering the mentor relationship.  Hmmm.

Relevancy = application between the past, present and the future.

Relationships = systems.

Ahupua'a = Integrated holistic systems.  (Hawaiian culture of sustainability refers to systems as "Mother".  You have to build sustainable systems to build culture and connections.)

Ho'ohanalima = learning by doing.  Hmmm.  Action research based on a self-directed, mandated mission for social connection and sustainability of community.

TEAMS: Technology Engineering Arts Math Science


I AM on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment